All MS&T21 attendees are expected to abide by the policies of the MS&T conference series, listed below.
MS&T and the Partner Associations (ACerS, AIST, and TMS), working in partnership with the MS&T21 venues, are complying with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and relevant state and local authorities in an effort to provide a safe and healthy environment for MS&T21 attendees during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. However, COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease and it is not possible to eliminate the risk of spreading or contracting COVID-19. An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present, and efforts to mitigate the risk of exposure to COVID-19 may not be sufficient to prevent spreading or contracting COVID-19.
COVID-19 Release & Hold Harmless Agreement
Each person that registers for and attends an MS&T21 event or meeting (together with any other activities hosted or sponsored by, or affiliated with, MS&T or any Partner Association, an “Event”) must acknowledge and agree to each of the following terms and conditions:
- I will comply with all orders, directives, and guidelines while attending or participating in any Event issued by MS&T, a Partner Associations, or any venue hosting an Event, including, without limitation, requirements related to hand sanitation, social distancing, and use of face coverings.
- I agree not to attend any Event if I am experiencing symptoms associated with COVD-19 (such as cough, shortness of breath, fever, or loss of sense of smell or taste), have a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19, or have come in contact in the last 14 days with a person who has been confirmed or suspected of having the COVID-19.
- I am aware of the highly contagious nature of COVID-19 and the risk that I may be exposed to or contract COVID-19 or other infectious diseases as a result of attending an Event.
- I understand and acknowledge that such exposure or infection may result in serious illness, personal injury, permanent disability, or death.
- I acknowledge that risks of exposure to COVID-19 may result from or be compounded by the actions, omissions, or negligence of others, including MS&T, the Partner Associations, the venue hosting an Event, and their respective agents, employees, and contractors.
- I acknowledge that I am attending one or more Events with knowledge of the risks associated with COVID-19 and the danger of exposure attendance may pose. I hereby accept and assume all risks of personal injury, illness, disability, and death resulting from COVID-19 arising from attending or participating in the Event(s), whether caused by the negligence of MS&T, a Partner Association, the venue hosting an event, their respective agents, employees, or contractors, or otherwise.
- I hereby expressly waive and release any and all claims, now known or hereafter known, against MS&T, each Partner Organization, and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, affiliates, members, successors, and assigns (collectively, "Releasees"), on account of injury, illness, disability, or death, arising out of or attributable to my attendance at or participation in any Event and exposure to or contraction of COVID-19, whether arising out of the negligence of any Releasee, the venue hosting an Event or such venue’s agents or employees, or otherwise. I covenant not to make or bring any such claim against any Releasee, and forever release and discharge each Releasee from liability under, and will hold the Releasees harmless against, such claims.
MS&T Anti-Harassment Policies
The Material Science and Technology Conference (MS&T) is organized by a partnership of three leading materials science-related societies: ACerS, AIST, and TMS.
All three partner societies are committed to ensuring that all MS&T activities are free from discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation of any form. The MS&T partnership does not tolerate harassment in any form of anyone attending an MS&T event.
Each Society has its Anti-Harassment/Code of Conduct policies posted on its website:
The American Ceramic Society Anti-Harassment Policy (PDF)
Association for Iron and Steel Technology Governance Policies
The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society’s Meetings Code of Conduct and Anti-Harassment Policy
What to Do
Anyone who witnesses or is subject to any form of harassment has two options:
- Immediately notify any MS&T staff members located at the MS&T registration area, information booths, or at one of the Society lounges. These MS&T staff members will immediately contact the MS&T leadership who will respond to you as soon as possible.
- If you are a member of ACerS, AIST, or TMS, please consult the above-referenced policies to determine to whom and how best to report an incident.
The MS&T partnership respects the organizational sovereignty and decision-making practices employed by each partner. Therefore, each partner, based on employment of its own internal due process, has the right to deny or revoke participation in the MS&T event and/or any of its activities by any individual or business.
Audio and Visual Recording of Technical Paper Presentations/Sessions
ACerS, AIST, and TMS reserve the right to any still photography, audio, and video reproduction of presentations at every technical session. Recording of sessions (audio, video, still photography) intended for personal use, distribution, publication, or copyright is strictly prohibited without the express written consent of MS&T and the individual authors. MS&T will take photographs and video during the MS&T Conference and Exhibition, and reproduce them in MS&T educational, news or promotional material, whether in print, electronic, or other media, including the MS&T website. By participating in the MS&T Conference and Exhibition, you grant MS&T the right to use your name, photograph, and biography for such purposes. All postings become the property of MS&T. Postings may be displayed, distributed, or used by MS&T for any purpose.